tutorials

tutorials

Thursday, February 24, 2011

How to Prepare Presentations with Google Docs

I remember working for a boss who demanded one-page documents only. No matter how complicated the topic was. Even if it was a documentation of a 1-day meeting.  That was part of his dream to go paperless.

I remember getting migraines and stomach upsets in my attempts to deliver the one-pagers.  Sometimes I would cheat.  Using legal paper size instead of A4 meant more texts.  Using size 8 fonts instead of 12 meant the same thing.  I got away with them on rare occasions when my boss was too busy to take notice.  When he did notice (because he needed a magnifying glass to read my report) he would smile and shake his head as if to say - "Shame on you".

And I remember telling myself - "shame on me." A hundred words, more or less,  and I have to cheat?  I can do better than that. And I did do better. Without cheating.  It was indeed a lesson on working within boundaries -something that proved to be more challenging than having all the freedom to do what I want to do.

Preparing presentations with Google Docs was another opportunity to apply that valuable lesson.  There was so much information to share.  My first draft was 10,000kb - and I couldn't upload to Scribd.com.  I must have revised this tutorial 20x! 


I'm now ready to post this tutorial. Just  like the one-pagers, I hope I was able to capture the most important information -a much shorter version- but a concise presentation.

Hope you'll learn the basics...
(Click here for video)

1 comment:

  1. Google Docs Presentation is truly a good alternative to PowerPoint. I hope this tutorial will be useful for you.

    ReplyDelete